Since I was a Chemistry BS student, I was interested in acquiring fundamental knowledge in the chemistry field. During my time working for the oil industry as a chemist, I learned that a deep knowledge of Chemical Engineering would be the key that connects my fundamental knowledge with applied research for the industry.
Improving the quality of crude oil and fuels to accomplish today’s environmental requirements becomes a more challenging task. Heterogeneous catalysis has been a
reliable and solid science where several industrial technologies have found support. My main research goal will be focused on the evaluation of novel materials for the catalytical removal of heteroatoms – mainly sulfur – from hydrocarbons. In parallel, I’ll use Operando Raman & FITR Spectroscopy to get new mechanistic insights and establish new strategies to develop quantitative structure-activity/selectivity relationships in heterogeneous (both gas-solid and liquid-solid) catalysis.
Awards and Memberships
- Sci-Mix Poster Distinction. ENFL Division. ACS Boston 2018.
- Travel Award ACS Boston 2018 – ACS Auburn Universiy Students Chapter.
- Member, American Chemical Society – National and Local Auburn University Students Chapter. 2018 – Present.
- Member, Electrochemical Society – Auburn University Students Chapter. 2016 – Present.
- First place mention “Embryonic Idea” in the First Contest for Research and Technological Development in Oil, Gas, and Energy of PDVSA – 2010: Three concurrent processes: reduction of emissions (CO2, NOx, and SO2), synthesis gas production and electricity generation in fuel cells solid oxide.
- Award to Editorial Production Mention Young Author – 2009, PDVSA Intevep Editorial Committee.
Oral & Poster Presentations
- Developing a new Raman-spectrokinetic approach to gain insights on the structure-reactivity relationship of supported metal oxide catalysts. Southeastern Catalysis Society 17th Annual Fall Symposium (Oral). Atlanta, September 2018
- Following the flocculation of crude oil asphaltenes’ using ultrasound and electrochemical impedance spectroscopy. 256th ACS National Meeting. ENFL Division (Oral and Poster). Boston, August 2018
- Following the agglomeration and flocculation point of asphaltenes combining ultrasound and Electrochemical Impedance Spectroscopy. 2018 UAH Engineering Forum (UAH-EF) (Oral). Huntsville, August 2018
- Developing a Raman spectrokinetic approach to gain insights on the structure-reactivity relationship of supported metal oxide catalysts. This is Research (Poster). Auburn, April 2018
- In situ/Operando Raman Spectroscopy to Characterize Catalytic Materials / Auburn University Chemical Engineering Open House (Poster). Auburn, April 2017
- Jorge Moncada, David Schartung, Natalie Stephens, Tae-Sik Oh, Carlos A. Carrero. Determining the flocculation point of asphaltenes combining ultrasound and electrochemical impedance spectroscopy. Fuel 241 (2019) 870.
- Jorge Moncada, William Reid Adams, Raj Thakur, Michael Julin, and Carlos A. Carrero. Developing a Raman-spectrokinetic approach to gain insights on the structure-reactivity relationship of supported metal oxide catalysts. ACS Catal. 8 (2018) 8976.
- Armin VahidMohammadi, Jorge Moncada, Hengze Chen, Emre Kayali, Jafar Orangi, Carlos A. Carrero and Majid Beidaghi. Thick and Freestanding MXene/PANI Pseudocapacitive Electrodes with Ultrahigh Specific Capacitance. J. Mater. Chem. A 6 (2018) 22123.
- Acevedo, Luis F. D’Elia, Jorge Moncada, Z. Puentes. Electrochemically assisted demetallisation of model metalloporphyrins and crude oil porphyrinic extracts in emulsified media, by using active permeated atomic hydrogen. Fuel 92 (2012) 264.
- F. D’Elia Camacho, Z. Puentes, J. Calderón, E. Lucena, J. Moncada, K. Saavedra. Assisted Electrochemical Hydroconversion of Heterocompounds Present in Fuel and Oil Using Active Hydrogen Passing through a Pd Membrane. Petroleum Science and Technology 29 (2011) 529.
- Luis F. D’Elia Camacho, J. Moncada, E. Lucena, Z. Puentes, K. Saavedra. Assisted electrochemical conversion of nitrogen heterocompounds using active hydrogen passing through a Pd membrane. A non-conventional diesel and VGO hydrotreating option. Fuel 90 (2011) 789.
- Luis F. D′Elia Camacho, J. Moncada, J. Calderón, Z. Puentes, K. Saavedra. Effect of the chemical nature and concentration of palladium (II) precursors on the palladium deposition by atomic hydrogen electrochemically assisted. International Journal of Hydrogen Energy 36 (2011) 4491.
- Luis F. D’Elia Camacho, J. Moncada. Copper–terbia and copper–gadolinia anodes for direct hydrocarbon solid oxide fuel cells: A fundamental comparison of their physicochemical features and performances. Fuel 88 (2009) 1970.
- Luis Felipe D’Elia, Zogehil Puentes, Jorge Moncada. United States Patent Application Publication US 2016/0376718 A1. Method for Electrochemically Assisted Upgrade of Hydrocarbons. Dec. 2016.
- Ánodos bimetálicos para celdas de combustible tipo SOFC: Ánodos de cobre-terbia y cobre-gadolina en celdas alimentadas con hidrocarburos líquidos (Spanish Edition) (Spanish) Paperback – May 26, 2011 by by Jorge Moncada (Author), Luis F. D’Elia (Author). Publisher: Editorial Académica Española (May 26, 2011). ISBN-10: 3844339493. ISBN-13: 978-3844339499.
Hobbies and extracurricular activities